Thursday, May 08, 2008

Tome Talk Thursday

Okay, trying to come up with alliterative titles for each day's theme post is starting to annoy even me, so I'll desist, unless I decide not to, which is entirely possible.

I'd like to recommend a book -- I'm not sure you'd call it a graphic novel, exactly, as we've come to understand those, but it's certainly graphic, and it's novel.  The book is "The Arrival," by Shaun Tan:



It's a marvelous, wordless story-in-pictures about the immigrant experience.  We follow a nameless man as he leaves his wife and child to take a wondrous journey to a strange new land where the miraculous seems commonplace.  Tan's artistic and story-telling influences seem to range from Will Eisner to Lynn Ward to German expressionism to Hiyao Miyazaki (particularly "Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind").  The book itself takes perhaps fifteen minutes to "read," but the emotional impact is astonishing, and the artwork is so intricate (and yet simple) that you can spend hours pouring over each page.  I can't recommend this book highly enough.  Go buy it.  Right now.  This instant.  You'll thank me, really.

No comments: